Since I do use ricotta in many ways it seems that every once in a while I will have just a little left in the container. Being the kind of person I am I really hate to waste anything. So I’m always thinking of ways to use ingredients that are leftover in the refrigerator.
I am a fan of bechamel sauce and this sauce that I have made for the tortellini is similar but the ingredients are a little different. I do like to use everything up so from that need tortellini in Salsa Bianca was conceived.
My personal favorite tortellini is the Barilla Collezione Tortellini cheese and spinach with no preservatives. This tortellini cooks up perfectly and it has a rich cheese flavor.
When making the sauce I’ve made it with with the half and half and whole milk but I’m sure you could go ahead and substitute a lower fat percent milk or even skim milk, it will make the sauce a little thinner but the taste really comes from the prosciutto and the Locatelli cheese. So go right ahead and try it out that way if that pleases you.
Tortellini in Salsa Bianca
- 2 chopped shallots
- 4 cloves of garlic chopped
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 tbsp sifted flour
- 1 cup organic chicken broth low sodium
- 1 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/3 cup prosciutto or regular ham
- 1 cup ricotta
- 1/2 cup grated locatelli cheese
- 3/4 bag Tortellini (dried or frozen) (I do like the dry)
Salt and pepper to taste
- Put your pot of water on for your tortellini.
- Get another deep pan. Your going to put your shallots, garlic, butter and olive oil in; you are going brown up your veggies than your going to add chopped prosciutto and brown that up as well.
- To this your going to add chicken broth and the peas and let them simmer for a few minutes
- By this time your water should be boiling. Your going to put your tortellini in the boiling water and stir as they cook. Remember you want them to be a little “al dente” having it a little under cooked.
- In the meantime your pea and prosciutto have been cooking. Now your going to ladle them out and put them in a bowl and set them aside.
- To this pan your going to add your sifted flour and just a little of your half and half mixture. Your going to keep your pan on low and slowly keep adding your half and half mixing as you continue to stir. until all incorporated. Now the milk mixture should start thickening.
- Next your going to add your grated Locatelli cheese and continue stirring and incorporating it.
- Next your going to add in your ricotta cheese, also your going to add your salt and pepper as well; stirring to combine all your ingredients.
- Next your going to add back in your peas and prosciutto mixture.
- Lastly your going to add in your cooked tortellini, stir to incorporate all the flavors. Now its time to call everyone to the table, buon appetito!!