Lentil Soup is a great soup for practically any time of year but it seems my mind goes to it in the spring and in the fall the most. I think the reason being we have the fluctuation of temperatures. Sometimes it’s warm but sometimes the temperature goes down and it reminds me spring ‘s really not here yet or fall is coming quick.
Soup is comforting and cozy, it gives you a feeling of security. Lentil soup also very nutritious depending on what you put into your soup. I have tried many different ways of making lentil soup, but I think one of my favors is Lentil Sausage Soup. Don’t get me wrong the vegetarian lentil is good but I think the one with the loose Italian sausage is just so savory and hardy.
It is a meal in a dish, don’t really need anything else except maybe some warm Italian crusty bread and butter. Is your mouth watering yet?! I know mine is. It really isn’t hard to make, you just want to be sure you figure out your times because it has to cook/ simmer for a little while.
It probably would work really well in the Insta Pot/presser cooker just need to brown up all your vegetables and sausage first and then you would add the rest of your ingredients put the lid on and estimate your time. I’ll rework everything with this recipe and do a post on the Insta Pot lentil soup at a later time. Please let me know how it works out for you.
Go ahead put a bag of lentils on your grocery list and give it a try before it gets too warm and then its grilling season…
Lentil Sausage Soup
- 2/3 bag Brown lentils
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 2 diced shallots
- 2 chopped carrots
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1/2 lb. loose Italian Sausage (regular or hot)
- 32 oz. organic chicken broth
- 4 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 bag wild rice mix
- 9 cups filtered water
- 5 cloves garlic chopped
- 5 tbsp. olive oil
- Clean and sort your lentils
- Put your lentils in 4 cups of water and microwave for 5 minutes.
- Chop your garlic, shallots, carrots, and celery. Brown in olive oil till transparent. Remove and put aside. Next your going to brown your loose sausage.. As the loose sausage browns your going to break up the large pieces of sausage with a pie crust shredder.
- Now to this you are going to add 4 tbsp. of tomato paste and add some water to your paste. Stir and thoroughly mix tomato paste, water and sausage.
- Your going to add back in your vegetable medley. Next your going to add back your par cooked lentils to the pot. You are also going to add the remainder of your ingredients; all the spices and your bag of wild rice, water and chicken broth . You may not want to put your salt in right now since your wild rice mix tens to be salty. Your sausage has a lot of salt as well.
- Your going to bring it up to a full rolling boil, then your going to bring it down to a consistent soft boil. Put the lid on part way and just let it cook and periodically stir. This is going to bring your ingredients to a thickened consistency; cooking approximately an hour . This cook time may differ since everyone’s stoves cooks differently. Stir and watch; everyone likes it at different consistency, some thicker some thinner.
- Your soup is now complete; all you have to do is enjoy it!! Let me know how you like it !! Buon Appetito!!