If you are enamored with purple cabbage the way I am, then you are looking for ways to make this vivid eye-popping colored vegetable in ways to excite your taste buds as much as it excites your vision!!
On a taste scale its comparative to the green cabbage so there isn’t any difference there. But visually it will be eye-popping.
This recipe is really simple, only a matter of following the steps and having some time available for marination. Your best bet is to start combining the salad dressing and shaking it up in a canning jar and putting it in the fridge to marinate while you begin to cut your cabbage. I prefer cutting by hand with a wooden cutting board and a sharp knife controlling the width of the cabbage slice keeping it very thin.
If you have a food processor, they work great for slicing cabbage, with the appropriate attachments. For me, I just rather do it by hand with the knife. Sometimes I just do not have the desire to take the food processor out of the cabinet and set it all up with the appropriate attachments; so I go at it with my trusty knife and wooden cutting board. You will continue to cut the remaining vegetables, and again I want to remind you, it’s up to you for the amount of heat you want to put in your salad.
After you have completed all the cutting you are going to toss your salad dressing in and begin to saturate the coleslaw until it’s fully worked into the vegetable medley cover tightly and place in the fridge. Periodically you are going to take it out of the fridge, combine and work through the dressing so that you are marinating the dressing through the cabbage vegetable medley.
Give it a good 24 hours of marination to get the full tangy dressing flavor throughout every bit of your coleslaw! Let me know if you have any questions and please share any of your own ideas on ways you might change it up!!
Coleslaw Gone Wild!! Part 1 and Part 2
Vegetable Ingredient List
- 1 head Purple cabbage
- 1 large red pepper
- 1 large purple onion
- 1 or more jalapeno pepper This is definetely your preferance, you do not even have to use any jalapeno peppers
- 2 large carrots
- 2 stalks celery (include leaves)
Coleslaw Salad Dressing Part 1
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup honey The honey will balance out the vinegar.
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1½ tsp. celery seed
- 1 tsp. dried mustard
- 1 tsp. salt
- freshly grounded black pepper
Coleslaw Dressing Part 2
- 3 Tbsp. Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce You certainly can decide how hot you want it; 3 tbsp. can be just a starting point for some of you, you are your own guide here. Your taste buds will be the judge; just be sure to taste as you proceed to add more.
- Coleslaw dressing recipe Part 1
- Mix all the salad dressing into a large mason jar, shake well then put the jar into the refrigerator to chill while you prepare the vegetables.
- Part 2 – To the part 1 salad dressing recipe add sriracha sauce and shake well, refrigerate; after ½ hour you are going to pour over slaw and mix well; then marinate overnight.
- You could use a food processor or you can slice the vegetables by hand. I prefer slicing by hand.
- With the peppers, you want to make sure you remove all the seeds especially the pith (white tissue inside the pepper, this is the hottest part of the pepper) and make sure you wear surgical gloves so you don't burn your skin from the pepper oil.
- After you have cut the vegetables very thin you are going to combine and incorporate all the vegetables together so they're totally blended.
- Remove the dressing from the fridge, shake well, and pour over slaw, mix well with salad forks and cover and refrigerate; let marinate at least overnight. Periodically remove from fridge stir dressing through slaw so the dressing continues to marinate and break down the cabbage.
- Hope you all enjoy it!! Please comment and let me know how it all works out for you and of course if you have any questions.