Here is a snack that will satisfy you to your heart’s content, if you are craving cinnamon buns! It will be playing a trick on your mouth and your psyche, and if you are really into cinnamon buns or even the ones that have the cream cheese icing this would be the next best replacement for that high carb, high fat dessert.
Very simple to make, I usually get my walnuts at Sam’s Club since I can purchase them in a large quantity. These are great for housewarming gifts also Christmas, too. But I like them best for when I really am craving a cinnamon bun and I know I can eat a handful of these and know I didn’t just blow a month’s worth of fasting and reducing carbs.
You can also make them with pecans as well. These are a few carbs lower than walnuts so take that into consideration when your planning on making these.
Both walnuts and pecans are considered heart healthy nuts. Both are high in levels of Vitamin E and also high in fiber.
Now I’ve mentioned a lot about the health aspect to this snack but in the raisins, there is a high percentage of sugar but the difference is that its a natural sugar, its primarily in the form of fructose which is a fruit sugar. Raisins are easy to digest and a source of quick energy which can give you that pickup in the mid-afternoon when you need it.
Granted, this is not those delectable “cinnamon buns you can get in the mall” B U T you are not going to get all those fat and sugar calories, either. And you W I L L be getting the S A M E satisfaction that you get from them B U T none of the G U I L T Y calories! ! !
CinnaBun Raisin Walnut Snack
- 3 cups walnuts (pecans) Slightly chopped. *You may also use pecans it is your preference.
- 1 cup raisins rinsed with water and strained.
- 1 egg white remove the yolk
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sweetener of your choice I used monk sweetener; you may use extra fine sugar as well.
- 2 tbsp. cinnamon
- Melt the butter in a saucepan; add the cinnamon, sugar (or sugar substitute you prefer; I used monk sweetener; you may use whichever sweetener of your choice), and 2 tsp. of vanilla extract. Put aside.
- 1 egg white beat lightly.
- Add walnuts or pecans to beaten egg white, add drained raisins. Mix lightly.
- Add walnut (pecans)/raisins to butter/cinnamon mixture, stir well.
- Spread the mixture out onto a parchment or silpat covered pizza pan.
- Bake at 275° for 45 minutes.
Leave a Reply